View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Er, let me point out that if you happen to live in the US (like say, Wisconsin ), they are still under copyright...

Not that I care personally, I grabbed all of them from Gutenberg AU a while back when they mistakenly had all of them. (I mean, they are owned by a giant company that had nothing to do with them in the first place. So morally I don't think it's a problem. I sleep well at night despite reading them)
Touche, and of course they have them but aren't making them accessible for the reading public either. I mean isn't that the point of obtaining rights to a book in the first place? So that you can publish it in current media (i.e. ebook now) and make a profit from it? What's the use of having a piece of intellectual property and letting it gather dust somewhere? I have to wonder if most people would care as well due to how old some books are. I mean if it were the newest Stephen King for example I could see someone going after someone who downloaded it because the author is still alive and it's a new book, but when a book is 50 or so yrs old and the author is dead I wouldn't think it would be as big a deal. Maybe I'm wrong, but common sense says the new book is of more concern as far as copyright than one that's 50 or 60 yrs old. After all the new one is the one that stands to make the big profits for the publisher. Just an opinion of course.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote