View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony650
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
[...]Remember, it is only one person's opinion, and many of our best writers got heaps of rejections initially. If, after looking at it objectively in a few days, that the book still has promise, then take what you believe is correct from the review and try again. Personally, I wouldn't pay for an assessor - try a literary/publishing agent, and see what they say.
The problem with responses from manuscript submissions to agents and publishers is that, if rejected, you don't get any feedback to say what they feel is wrong. It may have cost a significant amount*, but at least the appraisal shows me the sorts of things that at least one professional actually thought of the work - unflattering maybe, but more useful than the standard "thanks but no thanks" response.

* I don't see the cost as unfair - if you look at the number of hours it must take simply to read the work and then write something useful about it at the end.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote