View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note
Science Fiction vs Fantasy

In other thread, I had mentioned how I disliked Science Fiction and Fantasy being lumped together.

But lately I have come across another problem. Fantasy seems to be winning out over Science Fiction.

Don't get me wrong, I love reading both genres. But, in the deepest recesses of my heart, if I could discover a new book, author or series, that would surpass my current favourite in either genre, I would hope that new, fantastic discover would be in Science Fiction.

My reason? Well, they are two-fold. Firstly, I was a Science Fiction fan before I was a Fantasy fan and I still have a slight preference for good Science Fiction.

My second reason is that it is simply easier to find good Fantasy nowadays than good Science Fiction.

Am I imagining this? It seems to me that I am always finding good new fantasies, but not scifi.

I read one articles that said that more women than men read and buy books, and more women read fantasy than science fiction.

Many of my favourite authors write both and I get concerned when a scifi author I love starts writing fantasy instead. Yes, I usually enjoy their fantasy as well, but there are few enough great scifi authors I follow and I hate to lose them to the "dark" side.

Elizabeth Moon's Serrano/Suiza and Vatta series were stunning and I would love to see more in these series. Unfortunately, her newest novels are in her fantasy series. This series is good, but didn't take my breath away like her science fiction series.

Of course, authors will follow influences. If their fantasy novels outsell their scifi, it makes sense they will shift their focus. Or perhaps their internal muse feels it has done all it wanted to do in scifi and is drawn towards fantasy.

Whatever, the reason, I am having to look harder for the science fiction I love so dear...
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote