View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Interesting. I just did a search and then sorted by price. Of the first 12 listings, only 5 were Jane Austen's books, the others were other people's books. Her most popular books weren't on the first page. But when I seach for Frank Baum, all of the books on the first page were his books, and all but 3 were free. The order is a little strange. I can understand the 95 cent collection of his Oz books being first, but the first Oz book is 7th on the list, and comes after a few of the sequels.

I'm not sure if Amazon is trying to steer people away from the free books, or if their search is just a little strange. When I search for Jane Austen sorted by free, the first result is a French translation of Sense and Sensibility. It's pretty unlikely that is what I am looking for. The second result is The Three Musketeers. It might be a fine book, but it's not Austen. The fourth result is Wuthering Heights. The 6th result is Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. The 9th result is Agnes Grey Anne Brontė. The 11th result is A Tale of Two Cities. Very strange results.

When I sort by free searching for Frank Baum, all the results are his books. They aren't the most popular of his books, the first result is Life and Adventures of Santa Claus. It is one of Baum's books, but a pretty obscure book. It looks to me like it is just screwy search results. It may just be a matter of it not being a priority of theirs to get the most meaningful search results for books that they aren't going to get any money from. For books that sell a lot, you're much more likely to get popular results.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote