View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #74
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clié; PRS-505; EZR Pocket Pro, PRS-600, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
It would disagree with the statement that the authors were getting paid substantial less than with other publishers.

Over 30 k$ for three months of work doesn't sound like a miserable salary to me, and I think that apart from the top 2% or 3% most (aspiring) authors would go for it.
Focusing on the dollar amounts instead of the percentages is part of the confusion. I should have said, "paid lower royalty percentages than most other publishers." And the contract may have been similar--6-10% depending on the situation/edition--but the *amount* given to the authors was often 3-6%, after Harlequin got done with their number-juggling.

Which may have been legal (we're about to find out, for some of it), but was still less than other genre contracts. Twenty years ago, there was pretty much no other option for those authors; now there is.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote