View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 03:54 AM   #5
ixtab
0x2A
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
@thomass Nah forums are better than wikis.as many people don't or dont know how to post on wikis.also a dedicated forums will attract more people

I strongly disagree. Forums aren't "better" or "worse" than Wikis, they're just different.

Forum threads are great for up-to-date information and ongoing discussions, but the important bits of information tend to be spread over many posts in many threads. And ultimately, these important bits tend to get buried inside the multiude of posts inside a thread, and the threads get buried inside the forum as they grow older.

This is exactly the reason why some questions keep getting asked and answered. Unless you exactly know what keywords you have to search for, even the forum search may not turn up useful results. Example: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185610 . Both thomass and I knew that there had been a thread about this before, but I only found the answer by searching for "kindle touch store button browser" (or so), because I remembered the context. bhaak couldn't have known about that "browser" bit and would probably not have found the thread, because he wouldn't have known which keywords to use.

Wiki pages, on the other hand, can provide aggregated (semi-)static information in a structured and concise way. Plus, everybody can edit them and add information, without requiring "central control" (such as a "most up-to-date info" first thread post, which always needs to be kept updated by the thread creator).

I think forum and wiki can complement each other. For instance, 95% of the fonts information mentioned in the Wiki was posted in the font hack thread. Try to find the relevant posts in the thread - good luck!

Last edited by ixtab; 07-22-2012 at 04:03 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote