View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #166
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper Kingsley View Post
I know that some people just speak their story into a tape recorder (I know it's a "digital recorder" now, but in my head it's always going to be tape.) They tell the whole story like they're talking to other people, then type it up and change it into a more "book" story form.

I know that Dragon lets you take those recordings, runs 'em through the program, and it types them all up. Then you just edit everything because you've already got your first draft.

I tried Dragon, but you have to train the hell out of it to get it to use the right words. Then while you're talking, you have to kind of keep an eye on the screen because sometimes the program screws up and will just stop writing and you have to start it back up. That's why I think it would work better if you pre-recorded your stories, otherwise you lose everything if you're not paying attention to the screen and it's not typing.

Digital recorder -- about $40
Dragon Naturally Speaking -- about $40-90 depending on the version

It wasn't for me, but maybe one of you guys would like it.
I have a feeling that the version of Dragon you tried must have been a old version, the current version of "Dragon Naturally Speaking" doesn't require much training at all and is VERY accurate. I use it quite often, but not for creative writing. Somehow the actual process of typing stimulates creativity while dictating detracts from it. I use Naturally Speaking for notes and research, something that it is ideally suited for. I use my iPhone with a recording app to record notes, and then use Naturally Speaking to transcribe them.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote