View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 05:03 AM   #36
Funslinger began at the beginning.
Device: Kobo Touch
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Of course the other way to handle reduce the hyphenation would be to use left justification instead of full justification (this will cause a ragged right edge). ie add 'text-align: left;' to an appropriate set of selectors. This will however require you to turn 'Publisher Defaults' on for the book on your NC, since the BN custom style sheet adds in 'text-align: justify', and has a higher priority than the document css settings.

(EDIT: I notice that this is what Jerseyman first suggested (post 6) )

Hmmm different strokes for different folks, I guess. When dealing with full justification, you are the first person I've heard of that prefers playing with the interword/intercharacter spacing over hyphenation. (In c r eas e d spa c in g dri ves me batty )
Then why do you use full justification? (Your   example   of   increased   spacing   was   incorrect   anyway.)

I prefer left-aligned text and I STILL get hyphens on a Nook Simple Touch (EDIT: That is until a started using Peter Sorotokin's suggestion of {adobe-hyphenate: none}; but that only works for non-DRMed ebooks). End-of-line hyphens drive me crazy as does breaking a hyphenated word on the hyphen. Had I known that the NOOK Simple Touch auto hyphenates, I wouldn't have bought it.

Last edited by Funslinger; 07-16-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Funslinger is offline   Reply With Quote