View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #153
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Well, that scenario is what I thought you wanted to do in the first place. Thus the X server (!) used in the xinit command in the OP - it's a pure VNC<->X server. Xvnc is *not* x11vnc. The latter provides a *running* X server display via VNC. The further however is an X server on its own, as well as being a VNC server. Thus the start-up on another port.

Just install (e.g.) tightvnc, it will provide the Xvnc binary.

As for the list of questions:
1. has nothing to do with all this. Look this up for the default raspi X server, whatever that might be.
2. Xvnc is what you're searching for, I think.
3. You want to automate the start of Xvnc. Just use that xinit line suggested in the OP in your system startup scripts, e.g. /etc/rc.local on Arch Linux.
4. Hm, I think it should adapt to the orientation the framebuffer currently has, but that's it.
5. Via launchpad: shift-V-Q. Or adapt the config.lua file, a function for quitting is provided, you can call it for a certain key combinations. Would require messing with Lua, though.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote