View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #232
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Harry, it is really very simple. There are many possible uses and always a number of possible workarounds. But why don't we just insist on getting something that should be included in the first place? Even for those who now think they won't need it --- if you don't buy now and let them know that you want a better device for the same money (i.e. with an expansion slot), what do you have to lose?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It boils down to personal preference at the end of the day. I'm sure that the Nexus will be enormously successful. Personally, I prefer to have a device with a card slot. There's room in the marketplace for both.
I agree with Harry. The problem with Hans' reasoning is that anyone might make the same argument for ANY piece of hardware that THEY can't seem tot fathom that anyone can live without....camera, GPS, fingerprint scanner, Capuchino maker, whatever.
The simple fact is, leaving hardware (and even, just 'features' really, for less concrete reasons) is cheaper than putting them in. It adds money, it adds complexity, it adds support issues, it adds points of failure, and people will and should choose to spend their money on the particular hw or feature set that is important to them.
Hans, you seem to be missing that the success of the Fire and the iThing line proves that many MANY people simple could not care less about an SD card slot, and they should not be forced to subsides the including of one just because YOU (the set who think it's critically important) say it should just be there always. You say there is nothing to lose, but there is. Even if the directly observable losses are negligible, the real loss would be market forces pushing in a direction that other people just don't want or need it to go.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote