View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 03:43 AM   #15
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
arooni: I happily take patches. Please do not take offence. I did not mean to be harsh, but the software is focused on a certain target group for now. I can understand that this might be a bit upsetting, but it is a matter of days when there will be a version consumable for end-users. In case you are still struggling: I'm a bit out of ideas. The compiler error indicates that libusb-1.0 is not picked up.

Niluje: Thank you very much. I've included the patches (using pkg-config is a very good idea) and made a v03.

I've also made a little extension in that now the <address> values can be one of the constants "partitiontable", "header", "uboot", "kernel", "isiswf" or "rootfs".

eureka: I know that it is not a very permissive licence :-) But there are good reasons to that. The USB downloader mode has commands for setting the fuses, and writes to registers. I am pretty sure that it can be used to render the Kindle completely useless, not even accessible in USB downloader mode anymore.

The software does pretty much exactly what ATK does - if I didn't introduce bugs. Looks right by looking at the USB exchange (usbmon+wireshark are a great combo, especially when sniffing USB handling of a virtualized WinXP...). I have error checking everywhere to create a safety net, but it might not cover each and every case. At least, I'd like to hear about a few experiences.

The naming of the variables plus the scarce comments only indicate what I think it is. I am not always all that sure, however. But feel free to ask me about protocol details.

Last edited by hawhill; 07-10-2012 at 04:15 AM.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote