View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #85
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
qlob's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,048
Karma: 7096675
Join Date: Apr 2012
Device: Kindle 3.4
Successful Debrick -- with a hitch... EDIT: FIXED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
Has anyone with a bricked Kindle 3 been able to do a recovery using this method? I'd love to know if this is something I should pursue or if I should just wait to get a broken screen Kindle and just swap mobo/parts.
EDIT:Just thought i'd update this since GeekMaster threw in a reference to me in the debricking sticky thread.

Successful Debrick using ATK

I had a bricked Kindle I had given up on (would only boot into diags), and using Freescale's ATK program (windowsXP 32 bit, physical Hardware) I unbricked it by flashing the rootfs with an image i got from this forum somewhere that i renamed <imagename>.img.bin( i cant exactly remember where i got it...). To test ATK, i flashed Seaniko7's custom kernel (even though i already had it... lol) and then proceeded to flash the image. I left it running overnight, so sadly i can't give you a time estimate... In the morning, i booted it up, and it booted normally! the only problem i had was then that the FAT32 table was corrupted, so I did a factory reset which temporaily fixed part of it but unzipping an update file gave me errors so i got a friend to run mkfs.vfat (as i'm still a linux noob ) for me on my Raspberry Pi. now i have a completely functioning Kindle!

(the image below is the corrupted fat32 partition (/mnt/us) on the kindle when i plugged the kindle in to install usbnetwork on LinuxMint)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot at 2012-07-09 09:05:15.png
Views:	214
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	88912  

Last edited by qlob; 07-12-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: clarification,details
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote