View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #23
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I haven't read this, but know one person that has. I did read sections of the book she had and the writing style about drove me crazy. I kept flipping to other sections to see if it magically transformed. I was not impressed nor intrigued enough to even accept the offer to borrow it from her. She doesn't think it is a good book, but finds that she just keeps reading it - that there must be something to it, right?

To each their own - if readers like it and are excited to read, then that is something. Right? They are reading.

I did do a little look up for information about things I had heard of the origination of the book and found the below pretty quick. Now, I have an idea why comments say it sounds like something by a teenager and makes me feel ... ?? don't know how to phrase it, but I certainly hope people don't think my reading taste includes that as a great piece of literature. As others have said, there has been and is much better erotica out there.

E.L. James and the Case of Fan Fiction - Publishers Weekly
Spoiler:
Quote:
A spokesperson for Little, Brown, which publishes Stephenie Meyers's Twilight saga, did not specifically address Fifty Shades of Grey, but said that "it is Hachette's policy to proactively monitor and investigate all reports of potential copyright infringements." According to Valerie Hoskins, who is based in the U.K. and represents James for film, Fifty Shades of Grey does not align closely with Twilight; Hoskins noted that in James's series, for example, there are no vampires.

Amanda Hayward, CEO of The Writer's Coffee Shop, the small writers community-turned publisher that released Fifty Shades of Grey, said James's book "bore very little resemblance to Twilight," even though the story began as fan fiction.

The origins of '50 Shades of Grey' go missing - Los Angeles Times
Spoiler:
Quote:
People who know about "50 Shades of Grey" have probably heard that author E.L. James began the story as post-"Twilight" fan fiction. But now the Internet evidence of its start has been deleted, so its origins have been erased.

That's what the website Galleycat discovered when it went to the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine. The Wayback Machine allows anyone to look at websites as they appeared on days past, when the Internet Archive's computer systems took a snapshot of the site.

Galleycat had previously visited the site to look at the history of James' website 50Shades.com, where she began posting writing in earnest after a beginning on Fanfiction.net. It found lots there to demonstrate that James' early writings were meant to be a continuation, or detour, of the characters in Twilight, including images of actors Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson. That was in James' online serial "Masters of the Universe," which begat "50 Shades of Grey." Now only Galleycat's screenshots of the site remain online -- the Internet Archive no longer has them.

Last edited by dreams; 07-08-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote