Thread: K5 JBPatch
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #252
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Version 2.0.0 alpha

Finally...

after a lot of work, here is a preview of the new version, for those of you who are adventurous enough to install it.

It is not completely finished yet, but at least the important parts are working, and I feel like I have been announcing it for long enough to finally show some results.

Because it isn't finished, there is also no installer yet. Installation is simple though, just follow this procedure (this assumes that you currently have jbpatch 1.3.1 installed; otherwise, you may see no result at all):
Code:
$ scp jbp2a.zip root@kindle:/tmp/
$ ssh root@kindle
[root@kindle root]# cd /tmp/
[root@kindle tmp]# unzip jbp2a.zip 
Archive:  jbp2a.zip
  inflating: jbpatch/com.mobileread.ixtab.patch.passwd.jar
  inflating: jbpatch/com.mobileread.ixtab.patch.LegalIllegalPatch.class
  inflating: jbpatch/com.mobileread.ixtab.patch.tts.jar
  inflating: jbpatch/com.mobileread.ixtab.patch.scrollbar.jar
  inflating: jbpatch/com.mobileread.ixtab.patch.AllRotationsPatch.class
  inflating: jbpatch/com.mobileread.ixtab.patch.devcert.jar
  inflating: jbpatch.azw2
  inflating: jbpatch.jar
[root@kindle tmp]# stop framework
framework stop/waiting
[root@kindle tmp]# mntroot rw
system: I mntroot:def:Making root filesystem writeable
[root@kindle tmp]# cp jbpatch.jar /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/
[root@kindle tmp]# cp jbpatch.azw2 /mnt/us/documents/
[root@kindle tmp]# rm -rf /var/local/jbpatch/* /mnt/us/opt/jbpatch/*
[root@kindle tmp]# cp jbpatch/* /var/local/jbpatch/
[root@kindle tmp]# mntroot ro
system: I mntroot:def:Making root filesystem read-only
[root@kindle tmp]# start framework
framework start/running, process 2586
(Disclaimer: If you can't make sense of the content in the above box, then please, for your own sake, DON'T attempt to do it!)

NOTES:
  • The UI requires the Kindlet Jailbreak. You will be told if it is missing. If so, you can get it from here.
  • Localization is fully supported, but the distribution only includes english (and partial german localization for the UI and some of the patches). Take a look at the .txt files in /var/local/jbpatch, and you should get a good understanding of how localization is meant to work.
  • The margins patch, and the ad removal patch, are not included. The simple reason is that they haven't been fully ported to the new version yet.
  • The scrollbars patch may be the most interesting (from a technical perspective), because it is the only patch that is configurable via the UI.
  • All relevant changes require a framework restart before they come into effect.
  • This may, or may not, work with Firmware 5.1.1 (it probably won't). We really need some 5.1.1 images in order to be able to properly support this firmware version.

The final version is still a few days (or weeks) away, but all constructive feedback is appreciated and will be considered.

PS: I'll update the git repository in a few minutes with the current state, but be aware that not everything is properly cleaned up and documented yet.

Edit: attachment removed, as the final version of JBPatch 2.0.0 is now released.

Last edited by ixtab; 07-20-2012 at 01:25 AM. Reason: cosmetic changes
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote