View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
file formats : html

one of the key features for me, is the formats supported natively (without conversion). ideally, i would like to read html files, and some text formats like .txt, .rtf, maybe even .doc). the most important to me is html, for several reasons.

it's an open format, which i think should remain accessible pretty much forever. i can't imagine a day when html will become so obsolete that it would not be possible to decode it anywhere, unlike, for example, the .imp format, which is completely closed (cannot be converted into anything else)).

it's a format which can show any character, as long as you have an appropriate font.

with css rules, you can give styles to the text to create really beautiful books which are a pleasure to the eyes. just because we appreciate the convenience of digital reading, doesn't mean we should give up the pleasure of a beautifully laid out text.

html, normally, can also handle images, so you can make illustrated books.

luckily, the cybook already supports several of these formats, including html. brilliant ! however, a few oddities : the text displays perfectly, but not the images ! not at all. you can see that in the photos i posted a few posts back : the two liseuses are showing the same text, an illustrated version of Three men in a boat. but, on the cybook, no illustrations. it's really a shame, for the illuminated first letters in particular ! i tried putting the illustrations in a sub-folder next to the html file, i tried putting all the images on the same level as the html in one folder, i tried putting them in a .zip (you never know)... nothing doing. so there are still some elements of html to implement, and i think this should be priority for a future update.

another problem, but a mobipocket problem this time : i sent the same html file thorugh the mobipocket creator, to resolve the problem of the missing images. ok, the images are there now, but my nicely formatted text with images floated inline left and right, is all broken : the text does not wrap correctly. i've made some screen caps to illustrate this : to the left, the .imp file (native eb1150 format, which is based on very early html), to the right, the same source html file, converted with mobipocket creator and displayed in the pc mobi reader. you can see the images are not at all where they belong.

this could be because i don't have much experience with mobipocket : don't hesitate to tell me if there is a way to do this.

ok, now it's dinnertime, so more later...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imp_vs_mobi_1.png
Views:	601
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	14312   Click image for larger version

Name:	imp_vs_mobi_2.png
Views:	573
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	14313   Click image for larger version

Name:	imp_vs_mobi_3.png
Views:	570