View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
About flicker: wrong. Lcds do flicker, crts were more noticeable because they are interlaced displays that change their screen at 30 Hz since they have to use up half of their refresh rate changing the interlacing (and there is a slow decay inherit to the technology, plasmas also have this decay that is what makes plasmas look more crt like than lcds). Lcds refresh the screen at 60 Hz minimum. It still flickers just so fast that we can't see it.
I'm sorry to disagree with you, but I really must. LCD screens do not flicker. They are refreshed 60x a second, yes, but there is no "decay" in light output from one refresh cycle to another. All that an LCD pixel is, in effect, is a coloured filter that allows through the (constantly illuminated) backlight that's behind the LCD. The LCD screen itself emits no light; it merely filters (and colours) the backlight.

From Wiki:

Quote:
Refresh rate or the temporal resolution of an LCD is the number of times per second in which the display draws the data it is being given. Since activated LCD pixels do not flash on/off between frames, LCD monitors exhibit no refresh-induced flicker, no matter how low the refresh rate.
(emphasis mine)
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote