Thread: Tools DIY - KeK
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #26
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I run a 64 bit 13.1 Slackware arch, with Alien 32 bit multi-libs.
I have a B006 K3 Wifi. so Arm 6 I think.
(and a US DX, and a UK Kindle Wi-Fi)
arch is ARMv6, fpu type is softfp (VFP), 16bit code is Thumb (implied by the VFP option).
At least sort-of, I will get to that section of the outline RSN.

Quote:
Cleared a 5 Gb Partition and made it ext2 but I think I should have made it FAT?
Leave it ext2 or convert it to ext3.
Do not try to do development work on a Windows type file system - they do not support some of the file system features (like symbolic links, ownership, permissions, etc) required by build systems.
Quote:
would very much like to back up the entire content of the drive. but am not 100% clear on that but I'm working on it. bit unclear about getting the root FS from the kindle
These are K3s?
Follow the new "Recovery path ... K3" thread. The most dependable way of getting the K3 contents off the Kindle.
That work is all done except the step-by-step write-up, which someone is working on.

Quote:
I'll try simply backing up the main directories via SSH and see how I go.

played with Debootstrap but Udev nixs the sbin/MAKEDEV so that's a no anyway.
It should run under slack - but there are complete images already built suitable for development use. So you can postpone dealing with making your own right now. Maybe later go back and solve that problem.

Quote:
Anyways. When I've cracked it I'll shovel my experiences into a "howto on Slack 64", or something, assuming I get that far

Perhaps I'm missing a sticky or something but I don't see a simple "howto setup your stuff magically with no effort". step-by-step-while-making-tea.
If you couldn't get Buildroot to work on your 64bit slackware installation, you should report the problems on their mailing list.

Buildroot is used commercially by quite a few firms, it is kept in an "always works" state. Not just the release points but the repo head can be expected to "just work".
They want to know if it doesn't.

You might have some problems under (un-supported) Cygwin or MacOSx - but it usually works on those platforms also.

Quote:
Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction so far.
Big thanks to K for providing this great resource too, work appreciated: I assure you I am attempting to read the Friendly manuals ASAP. (just need to find some more heh)

Anyways I shall continue, I don't want to hijack this thread with my ramblings about a specific setup. However I thought a thumb-in-the-air for technical difficulty of "getting the project going" for a noob would not go amiss. never hurts to state the obvious I suppose.
It does take a significant amount of time just to gather in one spot the things people would want when doing development.

Since there is just one of me, I have to alternate between collecting stuff and doing the write up.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote