Originally Posted by Morkl
So, I re-ran the install with an earlier version of the update script and it works, even on my wonky device
I can't believe I was struggling all this time with a non-existing problem
The package at http://morkl.se/reader/JuneReader.zip
has been updated, and if I don't hear about any critical bugs I'll put it up at SourceForge in the weekend
Originally Posted by jackie_w
The latest June version of the modified EbookReader app installed easily and correctly on a never-rooted T1 and has survived 2 full reboots without incident. The time is displayed in the bottom status bar of each book and all my css is working.
This is great news! Thank you so much Morkl, jackie_w, and everyone else who has helped out.
If you want to use the no-root version but can't (or don't want to) run the flash_reader.bat file (because you're on a Mac or Linux or whatever), I can now confirm that the Mac/Linux rooting instructions from the Wiki
appear to work on Morkl's install_noroot version. This is what I did, and so far it appears to be working fine:
- Download and unzip Morkl's EbookReader.
- Copy the "reader" folder to the root directory of your T1's Reader partition.
- Open the "install_noroot" folder and copy the "PRS-T1 Update.package" file and the two folders inside the "sdcard" folder ("updates" and "tmp") to the Reader partition.
- You should now have 4 new items in the root directory of your T1's Reader partition: "reader" folder, "PRS-T1 Update.package" file, "updates" folder and "tmp" folder.
- Shutdown T1.
- Hold the Home and Menu buttons together, and while holding them down, turn on your T1. Hold the buttons for at least 5 seconds after the "Opening Book" screen appears (I waited until the progress bar finished), then release the buttons.
- Wait, and it should flash and boot in normal mode.
- Edit reader.xml and css files (in the "reader" folder) as desired.
- Enjoy new reader app!