@Kovid - right, I thought you meant some trickery to get this plugin to assign the objectName() for each item. I still don't understand your positional index point - being the nth menu in a menu doesn't mean much if it has become the nth+1 item on the menu at the time you go looking for it at the nth position
I (think) we are agreed that it would have to be *other* plugins setting "something" on *their* QAction items in this rare circumstance of a menu item not being mutable. Which puts me pretty much back where I started at the top of the page, be it with confirmation it is the only other way
Longer term when I next fiddle with the Reading List plugin I will figure out some additional attribution or objectName approach that will be the new "workaround" should any other plugins hit this situation, and push a new release of this plugin to cope with it. I just didn't want to do it yet without thinking through all the scenarios I want to cater for (such as allowing a suffix or pattern to be applied to the user specified custom name to retain the dynamic aspect to it when place on this plugin's menu).