View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #163
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Substitute" authors" for "ebooks" and you pretty much get the same attitude here: we'll pay real money to Sony, Apple, Samsung, and Comcast, but authors? No money for you. Beyond the budget.
I'll pay real money to authors, as much as I ever have. More, in fact--most of my pre-ereader money for books went for used books, and authors got no share of that. Now I'm often paying them 85% of list price, and sometimes more than that. Of course, that payment's only happening if list is below $6 and available in epub from a non-DRM store, but those are my terms for purchase; authors who only sell at Amazon or who DRM their books obviously don't want me as a customer.

I'm not going to feel guilty for intending to read a lot more than I'm ever going to pay for. Nor am I going to accept as reasonably any argument that hinges on "all artistic content should be metered;" that's not how any form of art has ever worked.

I am in favor of authors (and other artists) getting paid for their efforts, if their efforts are of interest to the public. I am not in favor of "everyone who perceives the art must pay the artist."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote