View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #404
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirokko View Post
But this is kernel images, how to mount it?
The short answer: It is possible.
The long answer: It isn't fun and simple, I will have to write that one up.

One way to compare the binary kernels is to dump its symbol table.
If two kernels support the same symbols, then they may be functionally the same (or may not be).

(Kernels have a symbol table, even when "stripped", to make loadable modules work.)

In general, u-boot/ARM uses a zImage with a perpended u-boot header.
And like any other kernel, that image may also have an appended initramfs file (which may in turn, have other files appended to it).

The u-boot header will not be compressed, the kernel image may well be, after the leading "piggy" block (the relocation and decompression code).

There seems to be a lot of information on the 'net about taking apart the omap (TI, ARM) images. I guess we need to re-write that info for the Freescale/Amazon images.

(I have done several write-up on taking apart the MIPS images, which is not relevant here. Those can be found by clicking through to my "home website" in the left hand info blocks.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote