View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #43
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Drake View Post
I find recent usage in trad published novels interesting on this point. I have frequently found a sentence which I would "conclude" with a colonbut which is instead ended with a period... What? Help! Am I to be banned a beautiful construction by being labeled an Indie Author?
This particular example would not, I expect, draw much criticism. But it's true that established authors can often do "for artistic license" things that an indie author would be criticized for. It's happened to me, too. It's not fair, but that's what it is.

My advice would be to write what you want to write, and go off the reservation if you want... but be mindful of how often you go off the reservation. If you spend too much time out there, readers will notice and react adversely. So use those overly-artistic passages sparingly.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote