View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Help me narrow down my 7-8 inch tablet choices!

I am in the market for a cheap mini-tablet. I have an iPad and love it, but it's a bit heavy for bedtime reading. I have an iPod Touch and it's a bit small. I also have an e-ink Kindle but the lighting situation in the bedroom isn't great. I have experimented with book lights for ereading and don't like them. I'd like to sell my Kindle and get a backlit mini tablet.

So I am thinking of getting a 7-inch tablet and am not sure what to get. Ideally, I want to read books on the Kindle app, watch Netflix and maybe read Zinio magazines (that is not a deal-breaker though; I am on the fence about sticking with Zinio).

The Vox tempts me a little now that it can load Google Play, but I loathe the Kobo app and am not sure how easy it is to hide it or minimize it. I know I can add the Kindle app easily, but will I still have Kobo on the toolbar, or can it be removed? Also, I am not sure it is powerful enough to run Netflix.

Kindle Fire is not an option since I am in Canada.

Blackberry Playbook, I know nothing about. I do have a Blackberry phone and don't love the apps for it. I think Android is more popular. But I don't want games or anything, just Netflix and Kindle.

Is there another device I haven't thought of?

Ideally, my ideal device would be a mini iPad, and I know there have been rumors but nothing confirmed. I also am wondering if it's time for the Kobo Vox 2 and if that might be worth waiting for.

Ideas? Suggestions? Buy now or wait? What device? I welcome any help.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote