Some quick comparisons between the Galaxy Player and two Android phones (Galaxy Ace/ Galaxy Dart). The Player does not require a data plan; and depending on your carrier, you may be forced to pay for a data plan for a smartphone. The Galaxy Player is currently selling for $150 on Amazon.
- Play= 800x480 -- 4.0" -- 2.3 Gingerbread
- Ace= 480x320 -- 3.5" -- 2.2 Froyo
- Dart= 320x240 -- 3.1" -- 2.2 Froyo
Processor/ RAM/ Battery
- Play= 1.0 GHz -- 384MB -- 1,200mAh
- Ace= 0.8 GHz -- ----MB -- 1,350mAh
- Dart= 0.6 GHz -- ----MB -- 1,200mAh
Cameras: Rear -- Front
- Play= 3.2MP AF no Flash -- 0.3MP
- Ace= 5.0MP AF w/ Flash -- none
- Dart= 3.0MP FF no Flash -- none
I have the Galaxy Player because it has better specs than low-mid range Android phones; plus, I don't have to pay for a data plan. I don't have a smartphone because I absolutely refuse to pay for a data plan, and my carrier (Verizon) requires it for all smartphones (both subsidized and non-subsidized).