View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
David Marseilles
Leap & a net will appear.
David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Marseilles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus⁴ & Kindle⁴
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
i don't really need 3G because i just use prepaid on my phones. wifi capable would be nice.

i guess my price limit would be too low...
Don't be too sure, there's a whole range of smaller androids coming out now that are technically low end (but are a far better experience than low end used to be), and aren't that pricey. Also, the galaxy players do give you the smartphone experience without the pesky phone part (we used to call them PDAs), and save you dough in the process ($150 for the Galaxy 4, <$200 for the Galaxy 5). If you don't need a smartphone, tablets can be cheaper -- nice tegra 3 tablets will be $200ish this summer. The Samsung Galaxy tab 7 2 isn't t3, but it's plenty of bang for your buck and is already out.

Also, there are lower end smallish devices like the Samsung Galaxy Pocket that retail low. Sony has a smaller xperia device, and htc has the wildfire. Processor wise, although these sound slow (single core, 800mhz to 1ghz), they're much speedier than the last generation of 800mhz to 1ghz devices and their batteries last longer. The screen size limits your gaming ability a little, and you sure don't want to read entire books on screens that low res. But even for folks who can afford better, there are some perks -- not everyone wants to carry a 4.x inch device everywhere. I'm actually considering the galaxy pocket as my next mobile and having a tegra 3 tablet for more intensive applications.

For a more balanced approach, on the android authority link above, the galaxy ace 2 is a pretty decent get at $300. 3.8", good resolution. And wow, the zte mimosa at $200 off contract is pretty stunning if you can really get that. Back in my day, prepaid users did not have that kind of selection at that kind of price.

The other alternative (since you can't get a subsidized device on prepaid, else you could sure get ) is to grab last year's best phones off ebay. If you can find a unit in good condition, there's nothing wrong with used, and last year's best are still pretty good. Heck I'm still getting by with something that was already obsolete in 2009, and while I can't swing angry birds, I play tons of tower defense just fine.
David Marseilles is offline   Reply With Quote