View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaggisMacJedi View Post
Okay, here's the thing that phone/palm/iPod readers aren't taking into account: E-ink displays. ...
I disagree. Not that I don't think eInk displays are nice and useful, but I disagree that they have not been taken into account. There are several threads here where this has been discussed at great length. EInk is a great benefit to lots of people like yourself that do not like reading on an LCD for long sessions. For other people, however, the current crop of ebook readers is limited in some form or function.

For some, they are not portable enough, and that group seems to be looking at the Readius with great hope.

Others are looking for some combination of functionality the current crop of eInk readers has not yet provided, or at least not at a price most people are willing to pay. Many here like the additional functionality of the iRex, for instance, but will not pay what iRex is asking, even with the new lower price version.

Some are looking for a solution that eInk is not intended to fit, at least not yet. The ability to display animations or even video, for instance, which would be useful in some text books. Built-in, on-demand lighting is another feature many would like, but does not seem to be easy to do, from the offerings we have seen. Some people want a converged device, like an iPhone.

Books have come in multiple editions and formats (hard cover, paper back, large print, braille, audio, serialized in magazines, expurgated, even the Reader's Digest editions) for many years. Why is it a surprise that ebook readers would not be a one-size-fits-all solution?

Jack

P.S. Just for the record, I like eInk. I had a Sony Reader. It was not a good fit for my reading habits.

P.P.S. Wow... None of the other responses were there when I started typing. This post seems redundant now.

Last edited by Jack B Nimble; 07-08-2008 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Added P.P.S.
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote