View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #505
pwr
pwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with others

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@pwr - as I have posted previously I don't have a Fire so those check and fix options related to MOBI have been made "blind" based on other people's suggestions, and the question of other formats like AZW and AZW3 hadn't come up yet. I don't use those formats personally so I know nothing about them.
Actually, the AZW is basically MOBI with (optional) encryption of the book payload (not metadata). AZW3 is also mostly the same, but the payload is in Amazon's KF8 format. And all the book samples from Amazon, and all the books that Calibre generates (MOBI, MOBI+KF8 hybrid, KF8) have the same MOBI headers and the EXTH header.

I'm not really sure how far the 'mostly the same' part goes for these formats, but before knowing about Quality Check I've written a small function to check the ASIN for a project of mine. It works fine on all my books, no matter the extension, whether they were generated by Calibre or imported from elsewhere, etc.

Btw, KF8 is supported by the latest software updates on Kindle 4 and newer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
What QC options would such a change apply to - does that mean all of those "Check Mobi" menu options as well as the "Fix MOBI ASIN" one? And how sure are you about the EXTH headers being the same - can anyone else confirm it?
As long as the file has the EXTH block, I guess all would apply. But my knowledge of EXTH is based on the wiki, so if Amazon gets 'creative' with it... .

Cheers,
-pwr
pwr is offline   Reply With Quote