View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I've noticed that, but strangely, Fictionwise doesn't offer a mobipocket version. So I guess I'll purchase this book in Booksonboard. (Is there any reason for the available format version each shop has? What's the general mobipocket format support in Fictionwise? Having a Cybook, I'm not that really interested in eReader format and such.
I contacted FW about that once. They said that if one reader format drops its to FW, they will only show that format and won't offer the other formats until they can offer all of them at the same price. I'm assuming that their cost might vary a bit between formats (assuming similar US model of hardback, trade paperback and mass market paperback price reductions), but to sell at the same price they probably have a minimum margin requirement and until all 'costs' are about the same, only the low ones show up on the site.

Presumably the publishers are not strictly responsible for when the price goes down, it is some combination of publisher and the 'format' they license the book to. From a marketing perspective, if a format vendor may try and lock in a publisher by getting the discount x weeks before the competing formats for some volume guarantee, etc.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote