Thread: Author Website
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Why? Did you have problems selling on your site? Do you think it's a bad idea? I've never had bad experiences doing it, so I'm just curious about your reasons.

I have in the past, and may again in the future. The problem with it is two fold..

1) Most online shoppers these days trust Amazon, and are very willing to give credit cards to Amazon. They are less likely to do the same for me (even if its Paypal, the still see the transaction belonging to the site owner). I find that I get better sales by driving people to Amazon then I ever get on my own site even though I have earned the "Trusted Merchant" and other certifications showing that I was cool and all. So in summary, more people trust big name stores over fly by night authors.

2) Liability risk. By driving the traffic to a major retailer, they assume all liability in the sales. Should something happen where stolen credit cards are used, or people are claiming that they were charged for things they did not authorized, the cost of that falls to the store owner. If that store owner is me, that means I have to foot the bill. If I drove the traffic to Amazon, then Amazon foots that bill. Same holds true for someone hacking my site and intercepting the credit card information. A store like Amazon can handle that (legal costs, reputation hit, etc), I could not.

Those are the main reasons. Others are minor, such as its more work and more overhead which means less time to write and write is what I really want to do.

There are ways to mitigate the work and the risk of course, and I am not saying no one should ever do it. I am just saying that I feel the wiser course is to pass that part on to a store whose primary job it is to sell stuff.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote