Thread: MobileRead June 2012 Run-Off Vote
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #37
Hamlet53
Sister Carrie
Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
If it makes things any easier, LibriVox has the audiobook. As with all LibriVox offerings, it's a free download, produced and read by LibriVox volunteers.

http://librivox.org/ivanhoe-by-sir-walter-scott/

Zip file of the entire book(533MB): http://www.archive.org/download/ivan...x_64kb_mp3.zip

All files are public domain in the USA.
Thanks for that information. Unfortunately I find it very difficult to substitute and audio book for reading, at least for any book I wish to retain more than a superficial grasp of. When my eyes are not occupied with reading it is too easy to become distracted and miss much of what I am listening to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
The audio book option is very tempting.

It's worth knowing, too, that the entire 1997 mini-series of Ivanhoe is available one You tube. It's obviously not going to be a top quality video but it is certainly watchable.

I feel very much the same way. There's really only so much time to even if one is a .
Thank you for that. The 1952 film is entertaining, but very glossy and at under two hours run time obviously leaves out much that is in the book. I watched the first couple of YouTube clips of the 1997 series last night. I like the gritty realism consistent from a time when bathing was considered unhealthy. At five hours total it should provide pretty good coverage of the novel.
Hamlet53 is offline   Reply With Quote