View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
I think it is in bad taste and form to upload a KF8 only book.
  • Doing so thumbs your nose/beak at all the Kindle owners who do not have a KF8 capable reader/app
  • Those who have at least one reader capable of reading KF8 and at least one that is not will be forced to use only the KF8 capable reader
  • Even if you upload two versions, one KF8 and one mobi, the two versions cannot be Whispersynced as one but will be treated as two distinct books. So if a person reads the KF8 version on her/his Fire and the mobi version on her/his K3 they will have to maintain two separate sets of bookmarks, notes, and locations read to. That would be a major PITA.

The only exception I can think of would be a book that requires significantly complex formatting that is only available through KF8. I can think of NO exceptions for novels, short stories, et cetera.

My thinking is that mobi should be offered for at least 2 or 3 years after Amazon stops selling mobi only readers. Amazon is still selling mobi only K3's and DX's. A few years down the road when few mobi only readers are still operating then KF8 only could become the norm.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-31-2012 at 11:03 AM.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote