I've created a framework for automatic content downloaders like the Guardian24
or the comic strip
downloader. It allows users to control which content they want to retrieve automatically while connecting to the iDS (yes, that's correct - no connection scripts etc., just hit the button at the upper left
). Downloaders are handled as plug-ins and can be developed easily.
Attached are two packages: The autodl-v0.2.zip contains an installer for the framework itself, including a dummy plugin. The guardian.zip is a converted Guardian24 downloader to show you how a simple plugin might look like.
Here's how to install the framework:
- Unzip the autodl-v0.2.zip to your internal memory, CF card or SD card - it doesn't matter
- Install the framework by selecting the newly created item. After the installation you have a new item in the "documents" folder on the internal memory: "Automatic Downloaders". It contains the control scripts for the plugins
- To install the Guardian24 downloader, unzip the guardian.zip to /mnt/free/download/.
- Connect to the iDS by hitting the iDS hardware button; the iDS software says "No new files" (or something similar) - this is intended behaviour and can be ignored.
- Afterwards you have the newest Guardian24 issue in your news directory.
Here's how to develop your own plug-in:
- Copy the /mnt/free/download/dummy/ directory to your PC
- Modify the manifest.xml and edit the name of your downloader
- Modify the scripts/main.sh, this is the script that will be executed when connecting
- Rename the "dummy" directory to something else...
- Copy the directory back to /mnt/free/download/... that's it!
It's really awesome to have content downloaded with just one click, so hopefully there will be many plug-ins available in the future
v0.2: fixed a bug during installation which prevented the script from working