I spent quite a few hours with my device and all I achieved was running in circles. I am grateful for any idea about what could be the problem or what could be done. I think my device is not bricked but rather crooked.
Points where I'm stuck:
- I cannot use rupor's root. Whenever I flash it, my reader will freeze in the Opening book screen on every startup, requiring an sd recovery
- with Boroda's root I cannot move apps to sd in spite of using enable-asec.
- some apps (amazon, mantano) won't install and/or run as they are supposed to
- the sd revovery behaves kind of strange, sometimes working, sometimes not (my success rate is much higher when using the "sdcard-rescue.zip" as compared to uboot's "rescue_1.04.zip"). When it does not work, the orange LED at the power button is flashing, but the sd card-LED is not, I am quite sure that means that nothing is happening.
- Moreover after revovery, it never reboots. The mission accomplished sign is that the black opening book bar turns white, making a reset via reset button necessary.
1) There is a slight chance my firmware was not 1.04 when I first rooted. When I look at the device info now, it says 1.04 and I cannot install sony's firmware because it says the firmware is up to date.
2) Something went terribly wrong when I flashed enable-adb. The main symptom (no longer mounting drives) could be repaired by sd-rescue, but maybe something is still damaged.
For the very patient, an approximate list of my activities in my as of yet inconclusive attempt to brick my device
1. Boug a PRS T1
2. flash rupor's AMR
3. flash rupor's enable-asec
4. messed up by adding a google-account, which lead to apps closing down. I thought before I do a recovery, I try the other stuff, so:
5. Tried to install some apps, parts of which worked. Some apps would not install, although the wiki says the opposite (e.g. amazon kindle app).
6. flashed enable-adb, then something went really wrong:
7. FIRST BIG PROBLEM: The reader did not mount/recognize any SD-card ("internal" or external) anymore, I couldn't mount them with my notebook via usb.
8. I tried sd-card rescue for a couple of times until it worked. SD-cards were mounted again
9. I did factory initialization
10. I wondered that adb would still pop up (thanks for explaining this)
11. I tried flashing rupor-amr again. NEXT PROBLEM: Whenever I flash with rupor-amr, the reader will not get past the "opening book"-screen. The black bar will fill up and then nothing happens OR the black bar will fill up, freeze for 10 s and then the reader reboots. All I can do at that stage is sd card recovery
12. I flashed both rupor-disable-all and disable-adb
13. I flashed boroda's minimal and it worked okay
14. I tried installing some apps. Some would work (google mail), some would not (amazon)
15. I flashed rupor-enable-asec over boroda's minimal, but moving apps to sd still would not work.
16. After freeing 28 MB I could install mantano reader (my main goal), but it only started once and then never again.
17. I flashed boroda's removal package
18-99. I moved in circles for quite a few times with rooting, recovering, swearing and so on, but I always get stuck at the points named on top.
57. At one point I tried installing the sony firmware. Because the sony installer didn't do anything by itself, I tried it according to the "update your firmware in linux" howto and copied the unzipped update-package onto the READER-partition. But when I tried rebooting in recovery mode, the black bar instantly turned white again and there was no apparant effect.