EDIT: 26 Sep 2011 All links referred to by 'www.ebooktechnologies.com' can be replaced with 'www.ebooksystem.net' to view webpages that existed previous to eBook Technologies being acquired by Google.
I went through this same upgrade path late last year, however up to the current firmware version 4.2f22. Unfortunately , I don't know of any "hacks" you can perform to accomplish this upgrade yourself.
It can be done, but requires that you send in your REB 1200 unit back to ETI
. Being outside USA/Canada may complicate matters for you, though!
It is best to send them an email first at email@example.com
, and then you may get their standard reply:
In order to do the "network-based" migration, one needs to start at the Gemstar servers (no longer possible). To do the card-based migration, one needs to be at version 3.1 or later.
With earlier firmware there is not much to do. Also, you must have a SmartMedia card (for migrating the 1150), or a CF card (for migrating the 1200/2150) in order perform the migration.
If you want to send us the device, plus a $30 check to handle return shipping and migration, we'd be happy to do it for you -- send check and device to:
eBook Technologies, Inc.Please include your return shipping address and phone number. Also include a copy of this email so we know what to do with the device when we get it.
Attn: Shipping department
7745 Herschel Ave.
La Jolla, CA 92037
There is mention on the ETI support page, How to Migrate Your GEB-2150/REB-1200/ETI-1 eBook using a Compact Flash Card
about this upgrade path and what happens afterwards, namely:
Once you have migrated to the eBook Technologies servers, eBook Technologies will provide replacement devices for a $50 service fee. In addition, you will be able to purchase additional devices from eBook Technologies' retail partners. Your replacement device will be able to access any titles you downloaded from the Gemstar servers onto SmartMedia or Compact Flash cards following the procedure outlined above.
What new features have been added to the eBook reader?
eBook Technologies has been hard at work adding new capabilities to the eBook software. Highlights of new features that will be available after your firmware has been upgraded:
- Random House Webster's Concise Dictionary - Every eBook now comes with a built-in dictionary that can be accessed while you are reading by just tapping on the word you want to see the definition of. You can also look up words alphabetically.
- Bookshelf Sorting - You can now organize your local bookshelf however you like. Your bookshelf can be sorted by Title, Author, Size, Recently Read and Recently Downloaded. Category display can now be turned on or off. To activate this feature, tap on the Bookshelf icon at the top of the Bookshelf screen.
- Content Conversion Improvements - eBook Publisher has been improved to handle PowerPoint conversions. In addition there is a new Bulk Convert utility that allows entire directories of Word and PowerPoint documents to be easily converted to eBook format using a simple drag and drop approach. The new publishing tools are available at http://www.ebooktechnologies.com/sup...r_download.htm.
- Improved Removable Media Handling - Compact Flash cards and Smart Media cards are now managed in a more useable manner. eBooks will be placed in directories that use the title as a basis for the name. This allows easier management of Compact Flash or Smart Media cards directly from your PC or Mac.
- PC Archiving - It is now possible to permanently archive both your encrypted and unencrypted content on a PC without fear of loosing it if your device is destroyed or lost. To achieve this, you can simply copy the content from your Compact Flash or SmartMedia card to your PC if you have a Compact Flash or SmartMedia reader/writer available on your PC or Macintosh.
Performance Improvements and bug fixes - A wide variety of performance improvements and bug fixes have been made.
Is it worth it? In a word YYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!
p.s. once done, do look at the .imp ebooks specifically formatted for the REB 1200 here in the MobileRead .IMP Books
eBook Uploads forum. They can be identified with the suffix '_1200.imp
' and are usually posted along with a EBW 1150 .imp version. Happy ebooking....