Book scan -> pdf -> Kindle Touch - problems
Hi, I've got a lot of books in pdf form created by feeding actual books into a scanner (sadly destroying them in the process). I'm not trying to change the format or anything as there are too many symbols and parts with different languages for it to come out correctly (I've tried). I'm just trying to send them as pdfs to my Kindle Touch, however, I've run into a variety of problems:
1. File size too large. Most of the books are 500+ pages and this translates into about a 150-250MB pdf with no compression. Kindle's limit is 50MB. Some of the pdfs are 2000+ page textbooks.
- 'Reduce File Size' under Adobe professional's save as settings usually solves this but sometimes the file size is still too big. Also the crispness of the text is reduced.
2. Text is missing letters. This is the main problem, although when viewed on a PC the pdf is fine, when viewed on a Kindle often words are missing letters. I think this happens when the PDF has been OCR'ed.
- I've tested with Adobe ocr and Abbyy rinereader's ocr and the problem is the same.
- 1dollarscan.com's ocr seems to come through okay, anyone know how they do this?
3. Kindle Previewer won't preview pdfs. It's annoying to have to dig out the kindle every time I want to see how a pdf looks on it. Is there any alternative to Kindle Previewer?
Thanks for your time in reading this, I hope I was clear, any help would be appreciated.