Thread: K-Tizen
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The tizen/download.tizen.org file tree is about 48 Gbytes on R/W disk.
As a squashFS RO file tree it is about 19 Gbytes.

It should fit on a "5 DVD set" as a multi-volume archive.

When used as the "base" RR layer of an auFS stack, will allow the use of wget --mirror command to track the contents of the Tizen download sub-domain without downloading the initial 48 Gbytes.
Since the Tizen download sub-domain is rate-limited, this can save you about 3-1/2 days of watching wget work.

PM me for details.
Started an update of the Tizen download domain last night.
Will know if the first attempt at making an: "update layer" works once it is finished.
Will be posting the "HowTo" once correct/intended behavior is checked.

PS: It is too big for me to post, and my public servers are about 1,200 miles away - too far to carry a set of DVDs over to the DVD reader and load them.
But I will be able to ship sets of the DVDs (in the USA at least).

Edit 5/24/2012:
This "incremental change" to the contents of download.tizen.org is larger than their original release. Must have been a busy two weeks over at the Tizen shop.
And, yeah, they still have it rate limited to "extra slow".

Edit 5/25/2012:
70Gbytes and still going strong. Sure glad I don't pay for my bandwidth by the byte or by the hour!

What happened down at the Tizen project this past week, they added three directories to the download sub-domain.

snapshots - They have started posting snapshots of the entire system, sometimes as many as five per day. That should slack off once the distribution stablizes.

live - Evidently as a storage place for each user of the on-line build system.
The public release of Tizen is only a few weeks old, but this sub-tree will probably grow quickly.

Most of the directories under "live" have names that end in a colon (":") -
Anyone familar with any *nix can imagine what a poor idea that is.
(And anyone who isn't, colon (":") is the directory path entry seperator.
Quick now is: "/usr/bin:/usr/sbin" one pathname or two? What if the name of the first is "bin:"?)

5/26/2012:
80 Gbytes and still going strong.
Modem is a bit warm and has had to be re-booted three times during this process.
Still adveraging 1 Gbyte / hour. (1/4 the capacity of my aDSL line) Grumble, grumble, grumble.

Later:
Quote:
FINISHED --2012-05-26 06:33:31--
Downloaded: 33764 files, 70G in 3d 10h 11m 45s (247 KB/s)
Not really, download ran out of disk space.
Should have seen that one coming but forgot to check on it the last several days.
Restarted Just hope I can get that domain mirrored before they go back to work next week.
Later:
Moved things around a bit so the "changes" file had room to grow another 150Gbytes in size. Hope that is enough this time.
Evening:
82Gbytes - still going strong, may be finished by tomorrow morning with any luck at all.

5/27/2012:
90Gbytes and still going strong.
There had been four snapshots added between when the download began and when it ran out of disk space three+ days later.
Anyway, have gotten past that "snapshot" sub-directory and now working (again) on the "live" directory.

If the "live" directory is the storage place for the on-line web-builder (in use 24/7) then it may never be possible to find it "idle" long enough to get a complete copy.
Except during "World Stopping Events" -
The Indy 500 race today -
The World Soccer Cup (whenever that is) -
Things like that, when not even drunk geeks work on-line from home.

Evening:
96Gbytes and still going strong.
Will need to re-think this idea of keeping a mirror of the Tizen download site.

5/28/2012:
124Gbytes and it went zombie.
Guess I need to find out what I (or Tizen) did wrong.

Last edited by knc1; 05-28-2012 at 09:38 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote