View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoppyFurr View Post
Nope. I didn't consider porting any existing software.

One of the things I want to do with this project is to get a more in-depth understanding of how a terminal emulator works. I want to do this by doing things by hand, making my own mistakes, and learning from them.
Porting an existing program would be plenty quicker to get working. But I just don't think I'd have learned very much from doing that. While the end product will be a working terminal emulator either way, I'd like the experience of doing this from scratch.
Good choice.
Although you don't mention it in your reasons, there are two other advantages:
You get only the fuctionality and features you want;
You know exactly what the dependencies are (and why).

PS: The suggestion given is a large body of code, not all that quick to port to anything.

So just keep on, keeping on.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote