Splitting omnibus eBooks into multiple eBooks seems to be a common request, but there haven't been many tools to do so without a lot of hand editing.
This plugin provides the ability to create new EPUBs by splitting off part of an existing (non-DRM)
EPUB format eBook.
Main Features of EpubSplit Plugin:
- Present the user with a list of 'split lines' in the existing EPUB. The beginning of each file listed in the manifest spine and each Table of Contents(TOC) entry. <guide> tagged files are also indicated.
- 'Preview' contents of each 'split line' as a tooltip over the HREF.
- Allow user to edit the TOC entry(s) for each 'line'.
- Select one or more of the offered lines to include in the new eBook,
- Edit the metadata for the new split eBook, and then,
- Extract only the selected contents of the source EPUB into the new EPUB,
- Scan the selected content for CSS & image links for additional files to include,
- Scan the selected content for internal links and anchors and update links that need to point to different filenames,
- Use the metadata entered into calibre for the new eBook (including cover) as the metadata in the new EPUB.
- Return to list of source EPUB sections after creating a new split EPUB.
- Configure which metadata from source EPUB to copy to new eBook, now offering more of the standard metadata and custom columns.
- Configurably populate a custom column with the source book title/author/etc.
- CLI via calibre-debug --run-plugin
- Requires Calibre v0.9.29 or later.
This plugin has translations for:
Command Line Interface(CLI)
Starting with calibre v0.9.23, calibre offers a command-line interface (CLI) for calling plugins.
This plugin supports that option and allows the user to call the plugin's basic functionality from outside calibre without having to install Python or get the plugin's files separately.
Usage: calibre-debug.exe --run-plugin EpubSplit -- [options] <input epub> [line numbers...]
Giving an epub without line numbers will return a list of line numbers: the
possible split points in the input file. Calling with line numbers will
generate an epub with each of the "lines" given included.
-h, --help show this help message and exit
-o OUTPUT, --output=OUTPUT
Set OUTPUT file, Default: split.epub
-t TITLE, --title=TITLE
Use TITLE as the metadata title. Default: '<original
epub title> Split'
-d DESC, --description=DESC
Use DESC as the metadata description. Default: 'Split
from <epub title> by <author>'.
-a AUTHOR, --author=AUTHOR
Use AUTHOR as a metadata author, multiple authors may
be given, Default: <All authors from original epub>
-g TAG, --tag=TAG Include TAG as dc:subject tag, multiple tags may be
given, Default: None
-l LANG, --language=LANG
Include LANG as dc:language tag, multiple languages
may be given, Default: en
-c COVER, --cover=COVER
Path to a jpg to use as cover image.
- Download the attached zip file and install the plugin/add to context menu or toolbar/restart Calibre as described in the Introduction to plugins thread.
- If you find this plugin useful please feel free to show your appreciation.