View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #67
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Azpen A727 tablet, Fujitsu Lifebook p2110 w/ FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's why I said, Taylor, that I wondered if there might be a difference between the cultural perspective of British and American readers - I don't know if there is, or if there isn't. I'm certainly not making "generalisations" - that is, after all, precisely what I'm criticising Mr. Ringo for, so it would a little hypocritical of me to engage in such a practice myself .
There certainly is, but you have to specify which cultural perspective you refer to.

I can think of one fundamental difference between Britain and the US, and it's related to size. Britain is a lot smaller than the US, with what I venture is a more homogeneous culture and population. You live in a multi-cultural area. So do I. But America is large enough that there are many places that aren't, with only a distant notion of other cultures. An old friend is an ordained Orthodox Catholic priest. She graduated from Union Theological Seminary in Princeton, NJ, a rather famous and influential institution over here. She described encountering seminary students from some of the "Bible Belt" areas of the Midwest who were genuinely surprised to discover Jews didn't have the devil horns they'd been told of as kids.

Folks from an area like that will see the world from a very different perspective than I do.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote