View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #13188
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
[...]Perhaps some other fans of Irving can also share opinions about which title(s) to recommend for a first-time read. [...]
I agree with A Prayer for Owen Meany, and also with Synamon and The Cider House Rules as being perhaps his best works ... though I must admit to having a couple of his latest books on the shelf still unread! (The shame! ) Most of Irving's earlier books (say, The Hotel New Hampshire and before), are very much books of their time, and I've found them less enjoyable to reread in recent years.

Regarding the possibility of being offended by the themes of The Cider House Rules, I suspect this warning applies of most of Irving's books - there's usually something in them to offend someone.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote