View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
PDF format specification is open for a long time already (I think since the beginning), and several previous versions were adopted as ISO standarts as well. This is not really a new development. I'm not sure why you think that ISO is now in control the PDF spec and why you call Adobe's solutions "homebrew".
Being open and being an ISO standard are not the same things. And previous versions weren't accepted as a standard. Only parts of PDF, such as PDF for Archive (PDF/A) and PDF for Exchange (PDF/X), were already ISO-certified.

By "homebrew" I am referring for instance to DRM solutions that build on PDF. Obviously, there was no standard here, and how often have we heard people complaining about devices with PDF support not supporting PDF documents that are DRM protected. By homebrew I also mean that instead of setting the future path of PDF on its own, Adobe will now just be one of several parties with a say in how the standard evolves.

See here for more about the PDF to ISO process: http://www.adobe.com/pdf/release_pdf_faq.html
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote