View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #26
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
Gecko is a company who produces covers for a variety of tablet devices. They occasionally post in MobileRead forums and recently posted that they had some covers for the new iPad to be reviewed. I was more than pleased to receive one of their covers and write the following review of it:

"Review of the Gecko Luxe Cover for the new iPad 3.

Though the new iPad is extremely similar in shape/size and style to the iPad 2, it is also slightly thicker (to accommodate the more powerful battery). This means that any cover/case/holder designed for the iPad 2 just might fit the new iPad, but it will not be a correct fit and will cause some problems with being too snug. Another difference is the magnet polarity incorporated into the Smartcover. The iPad 2 was forgiving of the +/- polarity but the new iPad is not. The magnets have to be exactly correct or the smartcover will not function properly.

Some dealers are selling covers which they claim are designed for the new iPad, but actually are just a carry-over from the iPad 2. This is why it's great to have a company like Gecko produce an exact-fitting case for the new iPad. Apple's latest tablet is an incredible device and it's great to have an equally good cover to go with it!

Gecko's Luxe model fits the new iPad like a glove fits a hand! The back of the cover is a solid rigid plastic which is perfectly contoured to snap firmly against the iPad's backside. It has all the cut-outs in the exact locations so as not to cover the on/off switch; the speaker; the earbud jack; the camera; the microphone; the multi-rocker controls; and the main Apple input jack. Though the back of the cover curves around the iPad's curves correctly, there are also two locations where it latches a bit further to insure a firm grip on the iPad.

The Smartcover is hinged to the back and is a matching synthetic leather material. The interior of the cover is a gray velvet which offers a smooth feel against the front/screen of the iPad as well as complimenting the overall look of the cover. As mentioned, it has the magnets with correct polarity to trigger the iPad's on/off function as the cover is opened or closed.

The design of the Luxe model is multifunctional, allowing the cover to be used on a desktop or tabletop in several viewing positions. This holds the iPad in an easel position, giving you a couple options for the viewing angle. When used in this manner the iPad is displayed with enough strength and firmness to allow the user plenty of freedom and control of the touchscreen. The easel-style design of the cover is quite well-thought-out, offering style as well as function.

If any faults can be found, it's the way the cover hinges. When it is opened, it does not lie flat against the iPad's back. It protrudes out just enough to make it less than ideal to carry around… especially in the portrait mode. Because of it's protrusion, it also makes it somewhat difficult to type on the keyboard when used in the portrait position. The opened cover forces your hand from gripping close enough to type with ease. I found myself pushing the backside away from the iPad so my left hand could make a close grip. I believe if a person's main purpose is to walk around holding the iPad in a portrait position (which is what the medical profession and inventory personal normally do) then the Gecko case just might not be the best design for that.

Overall I enjoy the Gecko Luxe cover and am proud to have it attached to my new iPad. It looks great on the new iPad and it functions superbly (disregarding the one fault I mentioned). I have another cover which I had been using… it is now gathering dust since the Gecko has taken it's place. The Luxe cover I have is an attractive shade of red (not too bright, not too dull). It compliments my white iPad well. The Luxe is also available in white or black.

I highly recommend the Gecko Luxe as a valuable accessory for your new iPad!"

Please take a look at it here:
http://www.geckocovers.com/apple-ipa...luxe-p-87.html

Last edited by pphilipp; 05-08-2012 at 12:39 PM.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote