View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
mike2046
mike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
protection issue on the html files

CJ,

Quote:
I saw your message as a probable solution, but I am unable to make the changes to my html files because they are protected in some way.

I know enough about html to make the simple change you suggested, but not enough to know how to remove this protection.

Do you have a suggestion?
Yes I had this problem. Windows 7 doesn't let you save the file from your editor back to the original location in the Program Files folder.

To get round this I copied the

c:\Program Files\Mobipocket.com\Mobipocket Creator\rsc\html

folder (all its contents) to another location to use for editing (ALSO MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF THE FOLDER SO YOU CAN RESTORE THE ORIGINAL POSITION IF REQUIRED). Make your editing changes at this location - you will be able to save your changes here. Next copy the folder back to the original location. You will need Windows Administrator rights for this. When I do it I get a dialog popping up asking me to confirm that I want to do this. I click ok and it then lets me replace the files.

This fixes the Guide option problem. Note also that to fix the table of contents problem you need the changes mentioned in my other post at

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176378

The reason for these additional changes is that, although you can set "compatibility mode" to IE8 to make some things work, IE9 uses an entirely new javascript engine. Even in compatibility mode it is not 100% compatible with the way the old javascript engine worked in IE8. Due to this, setting compatiblity mode alone didn't work in regard to the Table of Contents problem. The changes I've described in the link above appear to resolve this issue.

I hope this clarifies things further.

Mike

Last edited by mike2046; 05-08-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Explain a bit more about TOC javascsript issue
mike2046 is offline   Reply With Quote