Thread: Whither SF?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #69
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Most of the claims (or complaints) that SF is dying are from people who have a problem seeing where it's going, or imagining how they can continue to be a part of it. Some of those writers just can't figure out what they're going to continue writing about, so they decide that there's nothing left worth writing.

But SF, like life, evolves. The earliest SF was about modern cities and incredible inventions. Later it featured spacecraft, alien worlds and Earth-analogues. Then we started to explore the health and finite lifespan of our own planet. Today we often see explorations of the limits of human life. And throughout these periods, we've had throwback SF to older, more "romantic" eras.

Those themes haven't dried up; they are still relevant. And in a few years, there will be new themes to explore. What themes? I don't know... we'll find out when they get here. And I'll write about some of them, and maybe come up with a few new ones of my own.

And in the meantime, I've got a half-dozen stories sketched out right now.
Exactly. If anything it's a failure of vision on the part of some writers. There is always SF to write about right up til the bloody end.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote