View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #40
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
By the way, which steps do you take to convert to .gmv format?

I call gmplay from the desktop with something like
Code:
ssh root@kindle "zcat | /mnt/us/gmplay" < c:\video.gmv.gz
so that I don't need to store the large video file on the Kindle.

the desktop could handle all the dirty work of recoding the camera output, compressing and piping the stream to an ssh session.
My desktop PC has been very busy encoding video. My encoder runs on the kindle, but somewhat more slowly. When ONLY encoding, it is much faster to compute the dither thresholds than to look them up in a table, but in a filter pipeline, the CPU slows to a crawl. Perhaps my filter version (STDIN->STDOUT) needs the dither lookup table... At this time it computes the dither threshold in the same logical expression that does the pixel packing (8 dithered pixels/bit).

I am using mplayer to convert video to a folder full of TGA files, then I wrote a "sequentially number TGA" to raw framebuffer sequence filter, which I pipe to my raw2gmv filter, which I pipe to gzip. That pipe has enough processes to bog down my quadcore PC.

To play (as shown in the first post since the beginning), I use "zcat gmvid.gmv.gz|./gmplay", to which I often add " &" so I can uplug it while it is playing video. I also used "nc" in the pipeline for remote video, but your method is simpler (I like simpler).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote