View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; iPad3, iPad Mini; Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
There is no angle adjustment on the Amazon Kindle cover and if you lean the device back it will shine in your eyes. It is convenient because it is powered off the devices battery, but the angle of the light is poor. Some people have made little shrouds from tape, but for $60 I don't think you should need to do that.
Exactly that. I got one as a present. The plus is the fact that it powers off the device, so there is no need for separate batteries (but battery life does suffer - I recharge my Kindle ever 3-4 days when using the cover at night).

The angle of the light is fixed, and it stinks. You need to apply something (tape?) so it does not shine into your eyes when reading in bed. And the light is not very uniform - it is not as much of a horizontal problem, as a vertical one (the right and left edges of the screen get less light than the middle).

Also, the cover scratches VERY easily. And I mean, VERY. I have one and two of my friends do as well. All of the covers got scratched coming out of the box. It's so soft, it get scratched putting in-and-out of a backpack - even if you are careful.

In terms of color, the dark purple looks very nice - I guess it's subjective, but I like it a lot, and so do my friends.

It's hard to take off, but I guess you don't really need to do that very often. But the other side is that it offers great protection, as it 'envelops' the device. Of course, it adds some weight, but the weight is much more balanced than other covers with lights I have used (such as the SONY).

The arm is sturdy and, even after heavy use, I see no signs of it loosening. the light also turns off when putting the device in standby, which is great if you have the habit (like me) of falling asleep when reading in bed.

Overall, I would give it a thumbs-up, if not for the awkward fixed angle. As it is, I prefer reading in bed with my SONYs with lighted covers.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote