View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
Aren Tyr
Aren Tyr began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
Mobipocket now looks great!

Screenshot attached showing how my native Mobipocket viewer default font now looks on a silly little Mobipocket file I produced. Looks great and is nice and fast.

This is Times New Roman. As I mentioned in my previous post, in theory you can use whatever decent TTF font you want.

In my case, after editing the various Times New Roman fonts metadata to precisely match the Iliad Bitstream Vera fonts metadata, I then simply renamed the fonts to the same filename as their corresponding Iliad font; i.e. Vera.ttf, VeraBd.ttf, VeraIt.ttf, and VeraBdIt.ttf respectively, and then copied across.

I would quite happily post up the files together with the script I wrote so that anyone on the forum here can achieve the same little hack on your Iliad, except I suspect the copyright on the Times New Roman font prevents me doing so.

What I can do, if people would like, is put up a little bundle tomorrow based around the "Liberation" font package, which is a more or less a GPL licensed equivalent font to Times New Roman, so anyone who wants a good serif font (as opposed to the ugly Bitstream Serif font) for Mobipocket need simply run the script and no longer have to put up with reading everything in "Arial" or "Ugly" style
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_080630_003023.png
Views:	520
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	13938  
Aren Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote