View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #63
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaetz View Post
AFAIK, you can *merge* your scribbles together with the original PDF into a new PDF which contains both. Apparently there is an issue in that not all PDF-processing tools can print the different PDF and scribble layers though, but I can not say anything on that (yet).
correct - and some applications (e.g., PDFXChangeViewer) can actually further edit the annotations (as opposed to scribbles).

W.r.t. the question why not to introduce modifications directly into the document, I can see several potential motivations:
- there was a ready-to-use software to do the annotations (pdf_viewer), so one didn't have to bother to reimplement things.
- there seem several ways to annotate things... if you look at pdf viewers that allow annotations and sketching, you'll notice that they are not necessarily compatible to each other
- one doesn't have to bother with document permissions (w.r.t. editing, saving of modifications etc...)

On the downside, the device can edit only its own modifications (stored in the sqlite3 database) in the original file, and not annotations which were previously merged or inserted by another softwre.

It would be _really_ handy though, if the M92 could edit comments in merged pdfs (and thereby comments inserted via compatible software).
Actually: is there a reader that can edit comments from other applications?

Although I'd answer 'yes' w.r.t. the question whether I'd contribute money to fund implementation of such a feature, I don't know how you'd do this without a rewrite (naboo_reader unfortunately is closed source).
Having a quick glance at the Adobe SDK, I see that its use is prohibited in projects under viral open source licensing... so one will not be able to do more than to plead to get access to the source.

Therefore, the actual question'd be imho: Is someone willing to reimplement the reader?
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote