View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why? Most other versions of the MobiPocket Reader allow one to use any TrueType font; I'm sure that it would be a relatively minor change for Amazon to add this functionality to the Kindle.
I am in favor of the "user decides" approach, but Amazon has gone for a strictly controlled environment which has advantages from their point of view. One of the biggest is fewer support requests (user installed fonts are a nightmare to support, because most of them are bootlegged and so Amazon couldn't even ask the customer to send them the fonts). I have previously suggested that Amazon might make some extra profit from the Kindle by selling font packages. This would get round the bootlegged fonts issue, but even a limited number of fonts may increase support load too much.

Actually adding multiple fonts might be trivial to implement, or might involve some work. On the iLiad, there are many fonts available to Linux apps but only two available to Java apps like the MobiPocket Reader. Again on the iLiad, you can add your own TT fonts for Linux but only at the risk of crashing the boot sequence.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote