View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 02:03 AM   #55
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I'm 46, and currently reading the Harry Potter books and throughly enjoying them. I am currently on The Order of the Phoenix. I was talking to my 20 year old daughter yesterday (she has seen the movies, but not read the books) and I told her that I am really hoping that Professor Umbridge dies a really horrible death. I can feel my blood pressure rising whenever I see the words, "hem, hem."

I'm probably going to read the Hunger Games trilogy at some point this year, as I really enjoyed the movie.

That said, I wouldn't be caught dead reading Twilight.
Yeah, Umbridge is the teacher from. . . well you know. I had a teacher who was difficult like that (no blood quills though). Put your name in the wrong spot on the paper and you got points taken off. And he liked his coffee and cigarettes a lot. He'd been so unpopular in the high school of the town I was living in at the time that they shifted him over to the jr. high which is where I had him for a teacher. I think it's that universal nature of the books that attracts many readers. While many of us don't/didn't attend a boarding school we all had teachers and experiences growing up that mirror at least some of those that Harry has at Hogwarts. Kids pick up on that in a big way too I think. What I've never understood is the hype against the books. I mean they have inspired several generations of kids already (since they started coming out in the 90's) to become better readers. And of course they offer us adults a chance to recapture a bit of the magic of childhood as well I think. YA books in general provide an escape from the worries of adult life. I suppose if we're not supposed to read YA if we're adults that LOTR will have to go as well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote